This timeline looks at the journey of the New Testament text from its earliest manuscripts to the scholarly editions of today. It focuses primarily on the ancient languages and not the English translations (see also the History of the Bible in English timeline).
- Bruce M. Metzger. The Bible in Translation: Ancient and English Versions. Grand Rapids, MI: Baker Academic, 2001.
- Gamble, Harry Y. Books and Readers in the Early Church: A History of Early Christian Texts. New Haven: Yale University Press, 1995.
- Parker, David C. An Introduction to the New Testament Manuscripts and their Texts. Cambridge: Cambridge University Press, 2008.
- Metzger, Bruce M. Manuscripts of the Greek Bible: An Introduction to Palaeography. Corrected Edition. New York: 1991.
- Aland, Kurt and Barbara Aland. The Text of the New Testament. 2nd Revised Edition. Grand Rapids: Eerdmans, 1995.
Comfort, Philip W. and David P. Barrett. The Text of the Earliest New Testament Greek Manuscripts. Wheaton, Ill.: Tyndale, 2001.
- Metzger, Bruce M. and Bart D. Ehrman. The Text of the New Testament: Its Transmission, Corruption, and Restoration. Oxford: Oxford University Press, 2005.